At the outset.. বাট চ'ৰাতে

Welcome to my world..
I am not a writer nor a poet. Just trying to narrate some of my experiences .. I am usually comfortable in writing in Assamese, my mother tongue. Have written few blogs in English and have tried my hands in composing few poems in Hindi too.. My Hindi speaking friends may excuse me for my audacity to do so..

মোৰ জগতলৈ আদৰিছো...
কোনো কবি সাহিত্যিক মই নহয়, কিছুমান অভিজ্ঞতাৰ বৰ্ণনা মাথোন কৰিছো ইয়াত.. মাতৃভাষা অসমীয়াতে লিখি ভাল পাওঁ যদিও ইংৰাজীতো লিখিছো.. হিন্দী ভাষাতো দুটামান কবিতা লিখিবলৈ চেষ্টা কৰি চাইছো....

Translate

Saturday 15 December 2012

Something is seriously wrong..



I have interviewed many people from many states and have developed this impression that something is seriously wrong with our education system. Most of the candidates I interviewed could not answer simple fundamental questions.

The other day, a candidate who is a mechanical engineer could not even define the term “WORK” or “Mechanical Equivalent of heat” .

The next day’s experience was even shocking. 

A candidate came to face the interview. His academic records are excellent: 90% in High school (State Board), 86% in Higher Secondary (CBSE) and 80% in BTech.. I felt happy to get such a brilliant young man as a teacher for my students.

I started with the question: 
“How or why does a body float in water or in any liquid?” 
He replied, “Because of buoyancy force.” 
“On what factor does the buoyancy depend?” I asked…He could not answer. 
I asked back, “Why does a needle sink in water but the ship float?”  
And to that his answer was, “The needle has lesser density as compared to the ship.”
I asked, “What is the density of steel/iron, approximately?”
About 1.4 kg/cubic meter, he replied
“And density of mercury?”, I got curious to know his answer.
“1.2 kg/cubic meter” was his reply
“And the density of water?” I asked not losing my cool.
“1000 kg/cubic meter”, he replied correctly for the first time.
So, according to this brilliant mechanical engineer, water is 1000 times heavier than steel.
I could not decide whether to cry or laugh... 

No comments:

Post a Comment